Looking to install speakers into your late model Type 3?
Look no further!
Our front speaker kick panels for 1970 to 1973 Type 3s (Notchback, Squareback, Fastback) are made of thick, heavy-duty fiberglass to resist vibration and noise associated with cheap ABS plastic panels.
These high-quality kick panels are the best on the market!
Our panels provide up to 4" of space behind the mounting surface to install a variety of different 5.25" or 6" round speakers.
Note: We do not recommend installing speakers into your door panels. In addition to exposing them to moisture, the door panel material and clips are not strong enough to hold today's heavy magnet speakers. You will ruin the speaker and the door panel in short order. We offer these panels to save you the headache of redoing your sound system!
The kick panels are finished in black and can be installed under or over existing carpet in the footwell area without impeding foot movement.
The panels direct sounds up and inward to provide optimum sound quality.
Mounting hardware not included.
See "Tech Tips" tab above for installation instructions.
California Prop 65 Warning:
Please Note:The information listed below is for stock, unmodified VW's manufactured for sale in the US. VW's are commonly modified and very often parts from another year VW may have been installed on your car. California Pacific JBugs is not responsible for any errors if your car has been modified in any way.
Really Easy Instructions
- 40 grit sandpaper
- Jigsaw with a fine blade
- Electric drill with 1/8" bit
- Phillips screwdriver (or drill with phillips screwdriver bit)
- Template for your speaker (usually comes with your system)
- Pieces of cardboard to practice on
- 8 Sheet metal screws.
1) Decide whether you will mount Speaker Panels over or under existing or new carpet, then;
2) Pre-fit the Speaker Panel up against your kick panel area above the heater channel. Some trimming may be required simply by using sandpaper. We recommend putting insulation, carpet or some type of pad behind the speaker, up against the metal kick panel area of your car. This makes your system "sound" better.
3) Once you are satisfied with the fitting of the speaker panel and its ready to install, you can now insert your speakers:
First, cut out the hole using the template, or practice on cardboard. If you drill the hole too big, then you'll have to buy another set and start over again. It is best to cut out the hole with the jigsaw, smaller than the template shows, them use sandpaper to make your speaker fit perfectly.
Mount your speakers, tweeter, etc. into the Speaker Panel.
4) Now, drill 4 holes, one at each comer using a drill with 1/8" bit. Hold the panel exactly where you previously pre-fit, and drill thru the panel and the metal kick panel of your car. Then screw the 4 screws into both, with a screwdriver (or drill with phillips screwdriver bit). Note: Bonding or attaching the speaker panel to your kick panel area without screws, will not allow access to your speaker, if you ever need to get to it. Carpet over if you choose.
Remember, if you have any questions, call us. We are happy to assist you!
SPEAKERS NOT INCLUDED.